Freecycle Groups

If you’re interested in giving things you were otherwise going to toss to someone who can use them, or if you’re interested in finding something you’d have otherwise bought as one more Chinese imported product to help destroy our economy and improve theirs, you might have a look at what sort of Freecycle group activity is going on where you are.

For example, someone just gave away 28 chickens on Kerrville Freecycle and the traffic’s picking up with people giving away appliances, exercize equipment, all manner of things still working but now redundant because of Christmas gifting.

There are 10609 Freecycle groups on Yahoo, so there’s probably one in your area.

Here’s an example of the first page of that search:

• freecyclenewyorkcity

Welcome to Freecycle™ New York City! BE AWARE: this group Every item posted must be free. Freecycle New York City is open to all

• Members: 50990
    • Latest Activity: 9 hours ago
    • Created: 8 years ago
  • freecycleportland

Freecycle instructional Video Click here to enlarge. Changing the world one gift at a . If you are outside of Portland, please join and support your local Freecycle group. All Freecycle groups, worldwide, can be found at Freecycle.org

• Members: 45922
    • Latest Activity: 10 hours ago
    • Created: 8 years ago
  • SheffieldCity-Freecycle

Sheffield City Freecycle is open to all who want to recycle link below: This group is part of The Freecycle Network, an international and UK charity

• Members: 26339
    • Latest Activity: 8 hours ago
    • Created: 2 years ago
  • FreecycleBristol

Welcome to Bristol Freecycle (UK) Please note – a message will be this in order to join the group The worldwide Freecycle Network is made up of individual

• Members: 40409
    • Latest Activity: 8 hours ago
    • Created: 7 years ago
  • OxfordFreecycle

somewhere else! The Oxford, England Freecycle (R) group is open to all in the one of the busiest FreeCycle groups in the country, with up

• Members: 40765
    • Latest Activity: 8 hours ago
    • Created: 7 years ago
  • hackney_freecycle

Welcome to Hackney Freecycle. You are welcome to join, if like us in the correct format. Click the link:- Hackney_Freecycle MessageMaker Need a van? Use the Common Resource

• Members: 24257
    • Latest Activity: 4 hours ago
    • Created: 5 years ago
    • Moderated: Yes
  • freecycle-exeter

Welcome to Exeter Freecycle. This group is for people in and around for more info Any queries? Email freecycle-exeter-owner@yahoogroups.com or

• Members: 23775
    • Latest Activity: 11 hours ago
    • Created: 7 years ago
  • haringey-freecycle

The Haringey Freecycle™ group is open to all who want This group is part of The Freecycle Network, a nonprofit organization and a

• Members: 17376
    • Latest Activity: 8 hours ago
    • Created: 5 years ago
  • FreecycleTO

The Freecycle Network (R) is open to all who want to constraint: everything posted must be free. The Freecycle Network is a nonprofit organization and a

• Members: 23832
    • Latest Activity: 12 hours ago
    • Created: 6 years ago
  • freecyclelambeth

In Texas  http://groups.yahoo.com/search?query=Texas+Freecycle&sort=relevance  there are 210 groups:

AustinFreecycle

Freecycle Network (AFN), the first Freecycle group in Texas. WINNER 2005 Keep Austin Beautiful please join the Austin Freecycle Café group. Copyright

• Members: 20831
  • Latest Activity: 6 hours ago
  • Created: 8 years ago

• HoustonFreeShare

We are NOT a member of the “Freecycle” movement. If you are  . The reason for the breakoff from Freecycle, is because Freecycle wants

• Members: 16126
    • Latest Activity: 2 months ago
    • Created: 8 years ago
    • Moderated: Yes
  • clearlakefreecycle

Hi! Welcome to the Clear Lake Texas Area Freecycle (TM) Network (http://groups , etc on the Clear Lake Freecycle site. DO NOT send inappropriate

• Members: 5353
    • Latest Activity: 8 hours ago
    • Created: 7 years ago
  • Humble-KingwoodTXFreecycle

or improvement ideas about the Humble – Kingwood Freecycle Group! Freecycle Group Information Group Name: Humble – Kingwood Location: US – Texas More info: Freecycle.org

• Members: 5724
    • Latest Activity: 13 hours ago
    • Created: 6 years ago
  • ShermanTXFreecycle

Freecycle Group! Freecycle Group Information Group Name: Sherman Location: US Southwest: Texas More info: freecycle.org Copyright © 2003-2006 The Freecycle Network (http://www.Freecycle.org). All

• Members: 4234
    • Latest Activity: 11 hours ago
    • Created: 6 years ago
  • FriscoTX_Freecycle

exchange or communication. Freecycle Group Information Group Name: FriscoTX_Freecycle Location: Texas, United States More info: freecycle.org Copyright © 2003-2008

• Members: 3284
    • Latest Activity: 10 hours ago
    • Created: 4 years ago
  • lakejacksonfreecycle

Welcome To Lake Jackson Freecycle (TM) OUR PURPOSE: The goal of Freecycle(TM READ IT.) We encourage you to go to www.freecycle.org to read the history of freecycle and

• Members: 3284
    • Latest Activity: 9 hours ago
    • Created: 7 years ago
  • beaumont_tx_freecycle

The Beaumont,Texas Freecycle™ group is open to all about our area ! © 2003 The Freecycle Network ( http://www.Freecycle

• Members: 2391
    • Latest Activity: 11 hours ago
    • Created: 3 years ago
  • HOTFreecycle

Welcome to Heart of Texas Freecycle ™!!! Cooler than a garage for profit. Since this is FREEcycle, items must be FREE! Items

• Members: 2938
    • Latest Activity: 17 hours ago
    • Created: 7 years ago
  • SanMarcosTXFreecycle

Freecycle Group Information Group Name: San Marcos Location: US Southwest: Texas More info: Freecycle.org Copyright © 2003-2011 The Freecycle Network ( http://www.Freecycle.org ). All

• Members: 2018
    • Latest Activity: 2 months ago
    • Created: 6 years ago

Not to suggest you shouldn’t run down to WalMart to buy a new toaster from Asia, or put that old XP computer out by the garbage barrel to go to the landfill.   Just depends on what sort of person you are, I suppose.  And what sort of person you want to be.

Just saying.

Old Jules

16 responses to “Freecycle Groups

1. I did Freecycle in Wichita Falls, TX and they spammed my inbox. I couldn’t figure out how to delete or change my account. So I deleted the email address. Otherwise, it is a great service. I also search Craigslist for items I need and have sold items on Craigslist.

• donationcan: There’s an ‘edit membership’ button up by your ID that allows you to select to not get email from the group and only examine what’s going on at the group site. I’m a member of maybe 75 Yahoo groups but only get email from half-dozen, including Kerrville Freecycle. Fredericksburg Freecycle I visit online and get no email for the reasons you expressed.

Craigslist it also great, but in less populated areas there’s a lot less activity than is frequently happening on Freecycle. Glad you came by. Gracias, Jules

2. I didn’t get along well with the local list admin, so I don’t mess with Freecycle. I just park it on my lawn with my trusty “free stuff” sign and it all disappears. But I love the idea of Freecycle, and still recommend it to others.

• Thanks for the info Ed. I’d never considered the possibility of an admin problem, but now I do consider it it seems inevitable some groups would have that potential. Gracias, Jules

3. Hey, Old Jules , very nice post. I hope we can link up in the near future and talk about how life is going. Thanks for such great info…

4. Nice to hear people are REcycling. At this stage in my life I’ve almost recycled all I can. Will someone PLEASE tell me how to reCYCLE all this paper that’s tying to STRanGLE me?

5. Since I’m moving in July I’m starting to go through all of my things to downsize. I just looked up Best Buy’s recycling services. I may be making a trip there soon.

6. Some of the list admins can be cantankerous but you could always use the FREE section on Craigslist too and most newspapers won’t charge you for offering up something free. I loved your post because I think a lot of people still don’t know about FREECYLE I have had very good luck with it!

7. Hi, Jules, I really enjoy you pages and nominated you for some blog awards. No need to participate if you don’t wish to, it’s all about sharing the love. For more: http://auroramorealist.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/blog-awards-2/

8. Recycle everything is the way to go. Also buy AMERICAN. My day job involves manufacturing and selling locking mailboxes. Not glamorous, but a needed, strong, well-built product made right here in Tualatin, Oregon. We can’t compete price-wise with the cheap China imports, but that is the point. They are not cheap they are well made, we stand behind our product, are made here and they are not getting broken into. We work with small local companies, which have also been hurt by the economy, but every box we sell helps several other sectors.

Thanks for liking my recent post.